04 August 2006

Essentials of the Gospel

Thomas McCrie gives us this account in his Story of the Scottish Church pp. 247-248:

An English merchant, who had occasion to visit Scotland in the way of business about the year 1650, happened to hear three of the most eminent of the Scottish ministers of that age– Robert Blair, Samuel Rutherford, and David Dickson. Being asked, on his return, what news he had brought from Scotland, the gentleman, who had never shown any sense of religion before, replied, "Great and good news! I went to St. Andrews, where I heard a sweet and majestic-looking man (Blair); and he showed me the majesty of God. After him, I heard a little fair man (Rutherford); and he showed me the loveliness of Christ. I then went to Irvine, where I heard a well-favored proper old man, with a long beard (Dickson); and that man showed me all my heart."

That is a great tribute to three of the great ministers of the 17th Century Second Scottish Reformation. It is also a good summary of the essentials of the gospel:

We must know our sinfulness, God’s majesty, and His provision for us in Christ Jesus alone.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How exciting to see you have a blog. Looking forward to further posts!!

Mist

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home